EXERCISES for CHAPTER 25. ADVERBS OF MANNER AND ADVERBS USED IN COMPARISONS1. For each of the following sentences, fill in the blank with the adverb which corresponds to the adjective given in brackets. For example:
The letter was ________ legible. (scarce)
The letter was scarcely legible.
He did the work as _________ as possible. (careful)
He did the work as carefully as possible.
They won the game ______. (easy)
They won the game easily.
She handled the situation very _______. (capable)
She handled the situation very capably.
I _____ expected that to happen. (full)
I fully expected that to happen.
The view was _____ magnificent. (true)
The view was truly magnificent.
The theory has never been ______________ proved. (scientific)
The theory has never been scientifically proved.
1. I was __________ impressed by their courage. (due)
2. The children chattered _____________. (noisy)
3 The sun shone _____________ behind the clouds. (pale)
4. They have settled in ______________. (comfortable)
5. He _______________ maintained his point of view. (dogmatic)
6. Everything is proceeding ___________. (normal)
7. Please drive ____________. (slow)
8. She worked _____________ until nine o'clock. (steady)
9. The cost of fuel has risen ______________. (dramatic)
10. He _____________ scrambled up the slope. (agile)
ii. Everything was explained clearly and ____________. (simple)
12. The train whistle blew ____________ at the crossing. (shrill)
13. ____________ , it stopped raining before we had to leave. (lucky)
14. She was signaling ______________. (frantic)
15. That was ____________ unexpected. (whole)
16. We arrived _____________. (punctual)
17. England is a ____________ populated country. (dense)
18. They are ___________ dependent on coal for fuel. (sole)
19. The material was produced _______________. (synthetic)
20. They ___________ agreed to the proposal. (ready)
2. For each of the following sentences, fill in the blank with the adverb which corresponds to the adjective given in brackets. For example:
He hit the ball ____. (hard)
He hit the ball hard.
The newspaper is delivered _____. (daily)
The newspaper is delivered daily.
She did ____ in the competition. (good)
She did well in the competition.
Please close the door _______. (quiet)
Please close the door quietly.
1. I drove ____________ home. (straight)
2. We came to work ____________. (early)
3. She ____________ filled in the answers. (quick)
4. He likes to drive ____________. (fast)
5. We proceeded ______________. (cautious)
6. He threw the ball ____________ into the air. (high)
7. How __________ do you know her? (good)
8. We arrived _________. (late)
9. They did the work ___________. (bad)
10. He spoke ___________. (little)
ii. The gathering is held . (annual)
12. They replied _____________. (immediate)
13. The workers met ____________. (weekly)
14. I will deal with that problem ____________. (first)
15. They were ______________ dressed for the occasion. (suitable)
3. For each of the following sentences, pay attention to whether the word to be placed in the blank modifies a noun or a verb, and complete the sentence with either the adjective given in brackets or the corresponding adverb, as appropriate. For example:
It is necessary to wear _____ clothes in the winter. (thick)
It is necessary to wear thick clothes in the winter.
Snow fell _______ on the ground. (thick)
Snow fell thickly on the ground.
1. We ______________ concluded the deal. (successful)
2. He is a ______________ businessman. (successful)
3. There was a ___________ rain in the morning. (light)
4. She ran ____________ up the steps. (light)
5. The path was ____________ marked. (clear)
6. We gave him a ____________ signal to continue. (clear)
7. I ___________ disagree with you. (strong)
8. There is a ____________ wind from the north. (strong)
9. She waved _____________. (cheerful)
10. I gazed at the __________ water of the lake. (tranquil)
11. The engine operates as ______________ as possible. (efficient)
12. Is that a ____________ decision? (recent)
13. He has behaved very ______________. (responsible)
14. ____________ snow is forecast for tomorrow. (heavy)
15. I opened the door ____________ and stepped outside. (quiet)
16. Icicles hung from the ____________ needles of the pine trees. (dark)
4. For each of the following sentences, pay attention to whether the word to be placed in the blank modifies a noun or an adjective, and complete the sentence with either the adjective given in brackets or the corresponding adverb, as appropriate. For example:
A ____ wooden fence surrounded the playground. (high)
A high wooden fence surrounded the playground.
A ______ skilled worker will be required for this job. (high)
A highly skilled worker will be required for this job.
1. They have a _________ front lawn. (wide)
2. He has challenged a __________ held theory. (wide)
3. Every author likes to receive ___________ book reviews. (favorable)
4. ____________ situated farms often produce higher yields than other farms. (favorable)
5. Many ______________ incomprehensible phenomena have been explained with the help of modern science. (previous)
6. Many _____________ city councils have succeeded in balancing the budget. (previous)
7. ____________ weather conditions have prevailed for the past ten days. (unusual)
8. An ______________ large number of variables must be taken into account. (extreme)
9. ______________ few people understand the situation. (relative)
10. She wrote a ______________ short story. (humorous)
11. That was a ____________ occurring event. (frequent)
12. Our city boasts a _____________ bus service. (frequent)
13. It was a __________ Easter Sunday. (hot)
14. It was a __________ debated issue. (hot)
5. For each of the following sentences, pay attention to whether the word to be placed in the blank modifies the verb or the subject of the verb, and complete the sentence with either the adjective given in brackets or the corresponding adverb, as appropriate. For example:
We tasted the soup ____________. (suspicious)
We tasted the soup suspiciously.
The meal tasted _________. (delicious)
The meal tasted delicious.
1. The moon appeared ____________ between the clouds. (brief)
2. He looked ______________. (happy)
3. He looked ______________ at the timetable. (attentive)
4. We felt ____________ after supper. (sleepy)
5. After the lights went out, we felt our way ____________ to our rooms. (sleepy)
6. The maple tree grew ____________. (quick)
7. The sky grew ____________. (dark)
8. He became ______________ at the thought of giving a speech. (excited)
9. She became a teacher ______________ after graduating. (immediate)
10. The pastries smelled ____________. (sweet)
11. We ____________ smelled the aroma of fresh bread. (eager)
6. Rewrite the following sentences as comparisons, using the comparative form of the adverb, and the word than. For each sentence, use the word or words given in brackets as the second part of the comparison. For example:
The living room was furnished elegantly. (the study)
The living room was furnished more elegantly than the study.
Because they were nervous, they performed badly. (they should have)
Because they were nervous, they performed worse than they should have.
1. The train travels fast. (the bus)
2. In the morning, the sun shone brightly. (in the afternoon)
3. The footpath runs straight. (the road)
4. Joe sings badly. (Rick)
5. I got up early. (you did)
6. The wild deer came near. (I had expected)
7. Her son plays the violin well. (her daughter does)
8. Captain Cook sailed far. (Columbus did)
9. You are late. (the others)
10. The stream flows swiftly. (the river)
11. She studies hard. (her classmates)
12. The project was completed successfully. (we had anticipated)
7. Rewrite the following sentences, using progressive comparisons instead of the adverb increasingly, and using the expression less and less instead of the adverb decreasingly. For example:
The rain fell increasingly heavily.
The rain fell more and more heavily.
The wind blew increasingly hard.
The wind blew harder and harder.
Finally, the rain drummed decreasingly loudly on the roof.
Finally, the rain drummed less and less loudly on the roof.
1. As the evening wore on, we spoke decreasingly animatedly.
2. The spectators cheered increasingly loudly.
3. The chirping of the crickets disturbed us increasingly little.
4. As he grew older, he walked increasingly far.
5. The new shuttle service functioned increasingly reliably.
6. The sun shone decreasingly intensely.
7. As I became tired, I wrote increasingly slowly.
8. The boy learned to read increasingly well.
8. Rewrite each of the following sentences, changing the positive form of the adverb to the superlative form, and using the definite article the. Use the words given in brackets as the second part of the comparison. For example:
This window opens easily. (of all the windows in the room)
This window opens the most easily of all the windows in the room.
He plays this piece well. (of anyone in the band)
He plays this piece the best of anyone in the band.
1. She understood the lesson readily. (of all the pupils in the class)
2. This kite flies badly. (of all the kites I have ever made)
3. That train leaves early. (of all the trains departing from this station)
4. Last night it snowed hard. (of any night in the year)
5. The potato field produces little. (of all the fields on the farm)
6. This highway runs straight. (of all the highways in the country)
7. She speaks quietly. (of all the people I know)
8. The bass sings low. (of all the singers)
9. Eagles fly high. (of all the birds which live in the mountains)
10. She prepares meals well. (of all the students in the class)
11. They regard his proposal favorably. (of all the proposals they have received)
12. Bill ran far. (of all the boys)
13. His arrow came near. (to the center of the target)
14. This bus travels slowly. (of all the buses)
9. Paying attention to the sentence structure, complete each of the following sentences correctly by filling in the blank with the positive, comparative, or superlative form of the adverb given in brackets. For example:
We clapped as ______ as we could. (loudly)
We clapped as loudly as we could.
They arrived _____________ than they had expected. (promptly)
They arrived more promptly than we had expected.
She swam the ________ of all the girls in the school. (far)
She swam the farthest of all the girls in the school.
The more you study, the ______ you will do on the test. (well)
The more you study, the better you will do on the test.
1. Cheetahs run the _______________ of all mammals. (fast)
2. We described our experiences as ______________ as we could. (vividly)
3. The more encores she sings, the _____________________ the audience applauds. (enthusiastically)
4. He practises the ___________________ of all the members of the team. (diligently)
5. The ___________ you study, the poorer your marks will be. (little)
6. He explains his ideas ____________________ than you do. (convincingly)
7. They wrote as _________________ as possible. (intelligibly)
8. Seagulls fly ______________ than ducks do. (well)
9. Birds of prey soar the _________________ of all birds. (impressively)
10. The ______________ you exercise, the stronger you will become. (much)
11. They have traveled as __________________ as possible. (widely)
12. She examined the material __________________ than I did. (thoroughly)
13. He explains the subject the __________________ of all the teachers in the school. (well)
14. Advanced skiers complete the course twice as ________________ as beginners. (rapidly)
15. I have written out the assignment __________________ than you have. (neatly)
16. The ______________ I walk, the more refreshed I feel. (far)
ANSWERS for CHAPTER 25. ADVERBS OF MANNER AND ADVERBS USED IN COMPARISONSAnswers to Exercise 1:
1. duly 2. noisily 3. palely 4. comfortably 5. dogmatically 6. normally 7. slowly 8. steadily 9. dramatically 10. agilely 11. simply 12. shrilly 13. luckily 14. frantically 15. wholly 16. punctually 17. densely 18. solely 19. synthetically 20. readily
Answers to Exercise 2:
1. straight 2. early 3. quickly 4. fast 5. cautiously 6. high 7. well 8. late 9. badly 10. little 11. annually 12. immediately 13. weekly 14. first 15. suitably
Answers to Exercise 3:
1. successfully 2. successful 3. light 4. lightly 5. clearly 6. clear 7. strongly 8. strong 9. cheerfully 10. tranquil 11. efficiently 12. recent 13. responsibly 14. Heavy 15. quietly 16. dark
Answers to Exercise 4:
1. wide 2. widely 3. favorable 4. Favorably 5. previously 6. previous 7. Unusual 8. extremely 9. Relatively 10. humorous 11. frequently 12. frequent 13. hot 14. hotly
Answers to Exercise 5:
1. briefly 2. happy 3. attentively 4. sleepy 5. sleepily 6. quickly 7. dark 8. excited 9. immediately 10. sweet 11. eagerly
Answers to Exercise 6:
1. The train travels faster than the bus. 2. In the morning, the sun shone more brightly than in the afternoon. 3. The footpath runs straighter than the road. 4. Joe sings worse than Rick. 5. I got up earlier than you did. 6. The wild deer came nearer than I had expected. 7. Her son plays the violin better than her daughter does. 8. Captain Cook sailed farther than Columbus did. 9. You are later than the others. 10. The stream flows more swiftly than the river. 11. She studies harder than her classmates. 12. The project was completed more successfully than we had anticipated.
Answers to Exercise 7:
1. As the evening wore on, we spoke less and less animatedly. 2. The spectators cheered more and more loudly. 3. The chirping of the crickets disturbed us less and less. 4. As he grew older, he walked farther and farther. 5. The new shuttle service functioned more and more reliably. 6. The sun shone less and less intensely. 7. As I became tired, I wrote more and more slowly. 8. The boy learned to read better and better.
Answers to Exercise 8:
1. She understood the lesson the most readily of all the pupils in the class. 2. This kite flies the worst of all the kites I have ever made. 3. That train leaves the earliest of all the trains departing from this station. 4. Last night it snowed the hardest of any night in the year. 5. The potato field produces the least of all the fields on the farm. 6. This highway runs the straightest of all the highways in the country. 7. She speaks the most quietly of all the people I know. 8. The bass sings the lowest of all the singers. 9. Eagles fly the highest of all the birds which live in the mountains. 10. She prepares meals the best of all the students in the class. 11. They regard his proposal the most favorably of all the proposals they have received. 12. Bill ran the farthest of all the boys. 13. His arrow came the nearest to the center of the target. 14. This bus travels the most slowly of all the buses.
Answers to Exercise 9:
1. fastest 2. vividly 3. more enthusiastically 4. most diligently 5. less 6. more convincingly 7. intelligibly 8. better 9. most impressively 10. more 11. widely 12. more thoroughly 13. best 14. rapidly 15. more neatly 16. farther